Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Typhoon Fever!!


What a letdown – I finally feel like everything is going perfectly when the government decides to cancel all classes in the city of Shanghai!!! Yes, that’s right, the first day of school is officially cancelled (this seriously must be the first time in history - I’ve never heard of postponing the first day of school) well anyway, what I thought was going to be a day of sitting around twiddling my thumbs turned into the perfect opportunity to have grade meetings and make sure everyone was on the same page! I went around to the other 1st grade teacher’s rooms and organized a meeting for all of us to share notes, ask questions, and tie up any loose ends. It ended up being extremely beneficial for everyone – we were able to make necessary copies of all the assignments and worksheets for next week, finish planning lessons, and get fully organized for hopefully a REAL first day of class tomorrow (weather permitting.)

This is my first time ever experiencing a typhoon, and I must say, it’s INTENSE! One minute you’re walking to lunch with some friends under a beautiful (or should I say beeuutifalll) blue sky and the next, the sky is completely black and it’s pouring! -but not just pouring as we would typically expect – it’s more of a solid stream of constant water EVERYWHERE – to the extent that even with an umbrella and rain jacket, you’re still bound to get wet! Thunder booming and lightening striking, I must say it’s a bit unsettling. Luckily, as quickly as the storm came, it went as well. After about 30 or so minutes of constant rain, the sky cleared up again and if it wasn’t for small puddles and water everywhere, you would have never known it rained at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment