Monday, September 6, 2010

"I don't think I really want to do this dancing thing..."

The long anticipated first dance class is completed and checked off my list! Man was I nervous! With my only prior dance experience being Cornhuskin' and Jazz 1 at Meredith, I have to say, I was TOTALLY freaking out about how this class was going to go. Last night around 10pm I really began to panic.... I already had a lesson planned but since I've ever taught a class like this before I really had no idea what to expect! So, like any 23 year old teacher would do, I immediately began googling, hoping, and praying that I would find more fun ideas and activities for my students to do in class. I came across some really great websites that gave very specific lesson plans, including music, dance moves, and counts - What a lifesaver. I ended up changing my whole lesson around which was definitely for the better!

I started off by laying down the law (explaining the rules and expectations of the class) I had a few boys tell me, "Ms. V. I don't think I really want to do this dancing thing.... " and "Ms. V, I REALLY don't want to wear dance shoes... I think my shoes will be fine." (ummmm no they won't! You WILL wear the dance shoes I give you! You WILL dance! And you WILL have fun doing it!... TRUST ME! - that's me telling my students what's up!) So anyway, my first activity was a Jungle game! I had all my students spread out, think of their favorite animal and act it out. After a few minutes of acting out as a class, I called on individual students to stand in the center and act out their animal, while the rest of the class guessed. I ended up with a room of full of just about every animal imaginable, from cats and dogs to monkeys, elephants, pandas, snakes, fish, birds, giraffes, lions, and even a few dinosaurs!

Later, I had the kids follow along as I performed a pre-choreographed dance to "Rockin' Robin" and was even able to use some Michael Jackson warm-up activities that I learned last year in Jazz 1! Both of these were a huge hit that had the kids laughing, moving around, and having a great time! For our final activities of the day, we played a version of Freeze dance, and a round of London Bridges Falling Down! By the end of dance class I really think everyone (even the reluctant boys) had a great time! I can't wait until next week when we can do it all again!

No comments:

Post a Comment